Thursday, July 7, 2011

porch lights

So, I absolutely do not keep up with the news, as I've said before. But apparently there's some lady in...Florida (?) who killed her kid a few years back, and just got off the hook for it or something. (I don't mean to sound flippant about it, btw, it is really very sad) So people are spreading a message of outrage around and pledging to keep their porch lights turned on for a night, I guess in a show of their feelings of injustice and sympathy for the child and...I don't know, I didn't read the whole thing. And I totally understand that people are feeling this way, that our judicial system has failed us and this little kid's murder (or it might be 2 kids, not really sure) is going unpunished when it seemed fairly obvious that the mom did commit the crime. I get it. Without knowing any of the details I would hazard to say that I probably agree. What I don't get is the porch lights. In a show of outrage and sympathy, we the people pledge to needlessly waste electricity that most likely came from non-renewable fossil fuels? Can't we think of a less wasteful venue of expression? Maybe something that would help children, or something to better the environment for the next generation? Just a thought.

And now I'm going to go make tacos and watch Alfie (the one with Jude Law, whom I do not find as attractive as most people of my gender seem to) and hope that he is not going to be a self-absorbed male chauvinist for the entire movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment