Friday, July 29, 2011

Materialism

I am materialistic.  I value things.  I love things.  I could not be happy without my stuff.  Or at least this is what I believe.  Sometimes I look at people who don't have all this stuff, who don't have the option or don't want it, and I wonder if they're better off than me really.  It'd probably make life easier, I might be able to find stuff when I need it if there was less to dig through.  ( I was not raised this way, btw, my mother is very minimalistic) Would it be great to not be tied down by it all, to not even have a building to continuously call home from day to day, year to year, so as to be able to pick up and go whenever I wanted?  Is it a better idea to not have a lot of stuff, but spend all your money on travel, on experiencing, on learning about the world in a hands-on kind of way instead of by watching tv and looking things up online.  I think the problem is that in order to travel a lot and still have a home waiting for you (which I feel in my heart is a personal necessity for me) you must have a fairly substantial amount of money.  Which I don't have.  For my life @ present, I can have it one way or the other, but not both.  I have chosen home, security, material possessions.  And I'm good with that decision.   Some times I wonder what it'd be like to let go of everything and run away to ...live, I guess.  This thought both excites and scares the hell outta me.  If ever I become filthy rich, rest assured, I'd keep my home and possessions and also run around the world experiencing everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment