Sunday, July 3, 2011

Just re-watched Three Guys Named Mike...which probably nobody but me and a few grandmas have ever watched. 1951 movie with Jane Wyman and Van Johnson. I like Van Johnson, especially in The Good Old Summertime, with Judy Garland. Anyhoo. 3 guys all named Mike fall in love (supposedly) with this one girl. Van Johnson wins. yay. But she never kisses a single guy the whole movie and the other two guys plead for marriage one minute and the next minute smilingly accept their rejection. Really? I guess that's 1951 for ya! I think marriage should be to somebody you feel like you can't live without, somebody you'd do anything for. Or at least somebody who gets under your skin and into your heart and you know you could never leave them. I get the idea of loving someone enough that you want them to be really happy even if they don't pick you, but these guys didn't even seem phased! "Please marry me! ..No? Hey, you're rejected too Fella? Well, let's go get some coffee. Maybe the cafe's having a special on pie today!" ......... How could this possibly be love? Maybe it just wasn't about passion then. Maybe if it was a good looking girl that you liked talking to and she could cook and clean, she was in! I dunno though, isn't this about the time of Marylin Monroe? (maybe she's a lil' later, I dunno) But passion seems to pop up everywhere through time, clear back to ancient eras. But then people in countries with arranged marriages...well, that's a whole other discussion that I won't attempt to tackle right now. I guess a lot of things happened in the 40's and 50's that I don't understand. Like a woman accepting the fact that her husband continually cheated on her and still pretending like nothing was going on. Not ok by me!

No comments:

Post a Comment