Friday, July 22, 2011

But I want it too!

Does it cheapen a hand-made gift if you make an identical copy for yourself also?  I am telling myself that it doesn't.  The person I've made it for need not ever know there was a copy made, especially if it's not somebody I really hang out with.  They'll probably never even come to my house again, since this is really more of a lingering friendship from a time in high school when we were besties.  It is still a hand-made gift.  It still took a lot of work.  And I cut way too many squares when I made the original, so if I don't make a duplicate I'll have to throw all of them away, which would be a waste of fabric and of time.  But then the second question is, is it completely nuts to make a baby quilt for a baby that I have not yet had and do not plan to have for a few more years?  And even more, this will be an obviously female quilt, so I'm assuming that this far-off child will be of the right gender.  Which I fervently hope it will be, but it's not like I get to chose.  I suppose even if I never have a girl I can always give it to someone else, or, seeing as I'm crazy anyway, save it in hopes of a female grandchild.  Then I will be making a quilt for a grandbaby before I've even have had a child!  Ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment