Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Couldn't say no.

So my co-worker just randomly went to another JoAnn's and bought a skein of clearance yarn, and assumed that I would agree to knit her a pair of mittens if she bought a second skein for me.  Now.  #1 I have enough yarn to keep be busy till I die as it is, and I'm always buying more every time we have clearance, and we have seasonal yarns, so that is fairly often.  #2 I have never made mittens before and have no pattern for mittens.  I could not find a pattern for the size yarn she bought.  She found me a book herself, and I get to keep the book when I'm done, which makes it more worth while cuz I know the yarn she bought was only $1.97, and this is sock yarn, which means it takes about a million billion stitches to make anything because it is very thin yarn.  That woulda been a lot of stitches & a lot of work for a $2 skein of yarn.  PLUS, #3 the yarn she bought is a yarn that we used to carry in our own store but clearanced out about a year ago, at which point I bought every single color available EXCEPT this one, because I wasn't crazy about it.  She told me about it before she brought it in, said we'd never had it and that it was pink and primary green with a little bit of lighter green.  No.  No. It is pink and sage green with a little bit of  forest/olive green.  Still sounds like it'd be pretty, but it's just not.  #4 I am not really comfortable making something for someone when I have never attempted to make that particular thing before.  There's usually some figuring out, maybe some misteps.  If I mess it up I'd probably just hurry up and knit another pair out of the skein that should be mine for socks, and give her the second correct pair, keeping the messed up one for myself.  I do not want a pair of mittens at all, let alone in a yarn I'm not crazy about.  So.  Grrrr.  *sigh*  knittedy knit knit knit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment