Monday, June 27, 2011

Wine

I really wish wines were more user-friendly. I have found that there are not a lot of wines that I really enjoy. The ones that I do are usually very sweet, dessert type wines. And yes I have trouble remembering which is which in spelling between desert and dessert, and I have had 2 glasses of wine before this particular moment in time, which officially puts me past the point of caring enough to go look it up so I don't look stupid. Who's gonna read this anyway?!? lol
So, the point is, I feel it is hard to find a good sweet wine without having a good knowledge of wines in advance. I know anything from Arbor Mist I like, but it has a very low alcohol content, which can be either a good or bad thing, depending. But if I try to buy Yellow Tail, for example, or any other wine brand, I ALWAYS chose wrong! What I'm drinking right now is Yellow Tail Cheraz-Cabernet. And it's horrid. I chose it because it said it had blackberry in it, so it thought, berries, sweet, ok. Not so. I looked it up online, post-purchase, and it's at the very driest, heaviest side of their chart. I've had to add sugar in great abundance to make it drinkable. So my question is, why do they not mark a scale of sweetness on wine bottles? This would be a HUGE help to me. Everyone just seems to assume that I am a wine expert.
We went to Olive Garden a couple weeks ago and Jessy and I tried some kind of wine with a really long name that I tried to remember but haven't. It was amazing. But it was something I'd never heard of before, which probably means I can't get it for $10 from Kroger or CVS! lol Which is about my price limit. Seems like there's a very limited selection, all the same kinds of wine in different brands available in supermarkets and such, which is quite frustrating, since I don't seem to like most of them. On the whole I guess even though I like the image of sitting around savoring a glass of good wine, I'm better off sticking with cheap, tried and true Arbor Mist, or Seagram's Jamaican Me Happy, or Absolut vodka!

5 comments:

  1. I agree completely!!! I too am an Arbor Mist drinker. I favor Blackberry Merlot, White Zinfandel, and Peach something or another! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, Blackberry Merlot is my go-to. When buy wine. ...Which isn't that often, due to lack of funds. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I agree! I drink maybe two or three bottles of wine a week (we drink a lot in Scotland) and prefer red to white but I think wine is so hit and miss. It really depends on your own preferences and trying things out I think. If I buy a bottle and I end up not liking it, I always keep it to cook with. I know that's harder if you are on a budget but at least you are making use of it. I shop online so I always make a note of good wines I have discovered. You could set up a little spreadsheet and blog on your findings? :-) Hey ho, it's all good fun in the trying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Scotland! Ok, this may seem vaguely stocker-ish, but I was telling my mom about friends on Facebook that I added for zynga games but who've actually turned into pretty good friends, or people I'd like to be friends with, and one of the people I mentioned was you. I said you were from Glasgow (dunno if I spelled that right), and she said it was Scotland, I said England, then she said she thought I was right. lol I'll have to tell her she was right the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is indeed bonnie Scotland (although I am actually English) so you both win! Reciprocated and by the way - you have but have to do a blog post about the bunnies?

    ReplyDelete