Friday, September 16, 2011

Pastimes vs. Pastimes

When Jessy has down time when he doesn't have to be at work, he plays video games and reads.  That's pretty much the extent of it.  Very transient hobbies with nothing to show for them when you finish. 
I play the odd game, read some, draw and play music on occasion, and waste some time on Facebook (although less than some might think, because I am often sitting in front of the computer but doing something else entirely, like knitting, but I'm still watching posts and things like that).  But above all, I am a craft whore. 
I tend to think my way of spending down time as better and more valuable than Jessy's, because I am being productive.  I'm making something.  Plus I'm keeping some old ways alive that if it weren't for hobbyists would be extinct.  But is any of this a valid point really?  Is my time more meaningfully spent just because I end up with a usable product in the end? The things I make are readily available at every mega-mart in America, and sometimes at cheaper prices than what I can make them for.  My hobbies clutter up our home with supplies and tools lying all over and overflowing from plastic storage bins, while Jessy's video games fit nicely in one cupboard and the controllers go in an ottoman that opens up.  And how many socks and washcloths, bracelets, bars of soap, etc. does one person really need?  Of course I can give them as gifts, but nobody gets too excited when they get them.  My crafts are far less expensive in terms of how many hours of activity they provide me vs. how many hours he gets from each video game purchase.   And my crafts (mostly) do not require any electricity, which I reckon might make them a little more environmentally friendly. 
Well, I've kinda tapered out here and don't have a closing statement or anything, so, yeah.... The End.  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment