Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jill of all trades

Back in the day of apprenticeships, or in the world of the caste system, people learned to do one thing, only one thing, and that was your job, your livelihood, your life. And even today some people do this by choice.  They pick one thing, and say, "This is what I'm going to do, and I'm going to do it as well as I possibly can."  These are the people who rise to the top of their game, becoming experts.  The people that everyone else looks to when they want to know how to do whatever it is they do.  I can't do this.  I want to do EVERYTHING!!  Honestly, everything.  I want to knit, crochet, sew, embroider, quilt, scrapbook, make soap, make jewelry, cook like a pro, grow my own veggies, milk a cow, fly a plane, spin yarn, weave tapestries, work glass, metal work, computer repair and programming, artisan cheese making, bread baking, pastry, candy making, chocolate making, playing every musical instrument ever invented, carpentry, plumbing, book binding, fixing a car, hair cutting and styling, and about a billion other things.  I will never learn to do them all, and I will definitely never be a master/expert at any of them, because I keep shifting from one thing to another.  But I like the idea of having a basic knowledge of how to do anything and everything.  I think it gives an appreciation for things and how they're made or done and the people who make them or do them.  Plus it's just cool to be able to say, "Yeah, I can do that."  :)  Your pipe burst?  Oh, I can fix that.  Wiring lose?  Oh, I'm a trained electrician, let me fix that.  The computer systems of the world fail or some horrible natural disaster affects the entire world and we're all reduced to doing and making everything for ourselves?  Oh, yes, I can grow my own vegetables and make my own soap and turn wool or cotton into clothing and blankets, and I can chop down trees and build a shelter, and I know how to collect water that is safe to drink.  No problem.  Not only that but I can melt down metal to make us tools, and precious metals to make jewelry, and I can make a musical instrument and play it for you in the evenings for entertainment, and I can dye threads pretty colors and stitch little flowers on the clothes I made you from the sheep I sheared and the cotton I picked.  Yup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment