Monday, June 11, 2012

Lactose!!

I've always had a bit of intestinal issues.  My dad has chron's disease, which almost killed him a few times, but he's good now.  I have some form of colitis, possibly ulcerative I'm thinkin, and two other small colon issues that I'd rather not name because they have bad connotations and everybody would go EW! or TMI.  I am also lactose intolerant, which it took me eons to figure out.  Not sure why, you'd think it'd be easy to link up, eat dairy, get sick, lactose intolerant.  Just somehow never made the connection.  But I finally got it, and I have been feeling MUCH better now that I know what to avoid or take a pill for.   I've been just avoiding for the most part because I hate having to shell out for the stupid pills.  But I am super excited about how many lactose free things Kroger has started carrying recently.  There's Lactaid milk, which is regular cows' milk without lactose, and then the artificials, (rice milk and soy milk).  I never just drink straight milk anyway, and all of these taste good to me on cereal and such.  The Lactaid milk has been in the clearance section the past few times I've been in, which worries me, cuz it means they're not selling enough of it before it gets outdated, and if they're losing money on it they might stop carrying it.  It is more expensive than regular milk.  But anyway, there's also Yoplait lactose free yogurt, in fewer flavors than the regular kind, and most are fruit which I don't like cuz I hate the slimy chunks and pieces, but there is vanilla, and I can put my own stuff in it, and it's the same price as regular yogurt.  And there's Breyer's lactose free ice cream.  Only in vanilla, but still, pretty exciting.  Yay for dairy I can eat without taking a pill or having gut wrenching pain.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment